Monday, July 28, 2014

Astragalomantic Ontogeny

I have been playing with layout and proceduralism. There are ways of dragging more information out of every dice roll. Doing this has an aesthetic appeal for me. Every time it is necessary to roll a dice to produce a relatively uninteresting result, like how many of something there are, I want to see more interesting results generated. I am also erring on the side of terse description though I can't see that lasting very long.

This is a mockup and not finalised but contains the kernel of the ideas I am pursuing. The 21 dice icons at the bottom represent a character (3d6 x 6 + starting wealth), every page will have one, the numbers will also be used to determine aspects of the character's destiny and help to facilitate immersive and internally consistent procedural narrative generation in ways that have as yet not been determined.

Astragalomantic parsimony dictates that every roll is laden with consequence. Open in a new tab or you can't see anything;

Astute observers will notice this is a B/X goblin with mild reskinning

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'M ACTUALLY TRYING TO WRITE AN ADVENTURE. THIS IS ANOTHER DISTRACTION.

      Delete
  2. This is the type of thing we need more of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS. IS. THE. AWESOME.

    I love the design here, and I want to see MOAR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, are you implying that you have 556 more pages of this? My heart is all a-flutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whimsical horrors... and 'flensing spade' just reeks of tetanus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at "maniacally hierarchical unseelie".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friggin awesome. Without the watermark: Super friggin awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks people. I knew the watermark would rile but I didn't know how much. My initial intention was to cram more layers of information into the top margin and in the watermark itself but I never got round to explaining. So that, plus glossary and other things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I just learned so many more new words. Also: I kind of like the watermark, though I could understand why it might interfere with the clarity of the information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ... I ... what did I just see?

    Whatever it is, I want more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for some other informative site. The place else could I am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I've a project that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

    ReplyDelete