Saturday, June 12, 2010
Long time no post, here are a couple of things I've been working on in a reasonably presentable form. I'm not sure if this is the direstion I should be going in at the moment. I feel like taking things in a transhuman primordial biotech science fantasy direction but I'm sure the urge will pass.
The Fells are the haunted uplands that lie beyond the border of the northern marches in the outlands, the Land-Beyond-The-Empire. The Fells embodied the Wildness of the Wilderness, fear, loneliness, strangeness and danger. The Horrors of the Middenmurk lie beyond.
Events that might befall travellers
1. Stinking Mires: 1d4 retainers start to sink, Successful Strength check by a PC within 3 rounds to rescue from drowning
2. Knuckerholes: Foul pit opens in ground, Random retainer falls in on 1-2 on 1d6 for 1d6 dmg
3. Dreary Fog: Saps meaning from the world, Save vs. Spells or -1 to Wisdom
4. Desolation: Great vistas of bleak emptiness. Morale check for Retainers
5. Darkling Woods: Forest of shadows, tangled roots and branches like scratching fingers in perpetual darkness, -1 to attack, missile fire impossible.
6. Creeping Chill: A bitter cold that seeps into the bones and saps the will. Con Check or -1 to Strength.
7. Witch-lights: Ghostly candles in the distance, Hirelings must make morale check or wander off into darkness.
9. Cairn: Monument of piled stones, 10% chance of finding offering. Leave offering to receive bonus for 1 day. roll d3 1. +1 Strength, 2. +1 Constitution, 3. +1 Charisma.
10. Shrine: Pray for one turn and receive; 1d3 1. 2 hp 2. +1 Saving Throw for 1 day, 3. Pilgrim retainer that will accompany character for a week.
The dreadful influence of the Middenmurk has made the Fells a place of nightmares. Creatures lurk there that are embodiments of the wild elements of the accursed landscape.
Things Rumoured to Exist in the Fells.
Dead Lord Crethering, Hrulf the Unbegotten, Aelfrick the Weirman, Netherus Cramp, Pentecost the Harbourmaster, The Stork-Woman, Old Braithie, Flendel and Briggs, Webba of Auld Skerrick, Trammel, Gristlebairns, The Alabaster Sow, The Ragged King, The Lang Man of Osterwick, The Hound of Kelmsley, Candlewrack, Uncle Nigh-to-Earth, Father Bracken, Broadbasket Shamwell, Minser Corbie, Eponymous Brock, Irongrin Skoathe, Flinties, The Feculent Dowager, Mill-wights, Privy-wights, The Lost Seneschal, The Seven Sisters of Fyldewocky, Murdoch Hillstrider, The Thicketty Man, The Maid in the Millpond, Mother Mansrot, Auld Rinkrank, Sir Umberton Nunsputter the Thrice-cursed, The Dawn Bear, Rufus Bombastus – Lord of the Eastern Wastes, The Miracle Swine, The Oracle Thrush, Knuckerbrides, Hoary Clooters, Bleakenswick Hares, Drusus the Vain, Asphodel the Blighted One, Maddock and Caddock, Anvilkine, Epiphany Fowl, Gossamer Cockerels, Avatars of Lassitude, Splinterfoxes, Whiskery Concubines, Nefarious Conflagrati, The Beast of Crippswich Hollow, Aunt Ailith, Eadgyth Coppertongue, Wickerboys, Treacle the Catamite, Tarn Shucks.
Roll d8s for Passion, Element and Form
1. Cursed: drains 1 level on successful hit
2. Raging: Causes double damage
3. Tricksy: Charm person 3/day
4. Ravenous: Swallows whole on a 20, d6 dmg per round until the monster dies
5. Idiotic: +1 HD -2AC (penalty)
6. Pestilent: Cause Disease on successful hit.
7. Insidious: Surprises on 1-4
8. Tyrannical: Cause Fear 3/day
1. Barrow: regenerates 1 hp per round while in its lair
2. Weed: entangles on a successful attack and hits automatically every round thereafter, Strength check to break free
3. Cave: +2 AC
4. Mist: Protection from normal missiles
5. Toad: Extra tongue attack, if successful the next attack automatically succeeds.
6. Horse: Double speed.
7. Dog: Savage Bite, +2 dmg, -1 Morale
8. Fen: Drags opponent into a bog on a successful attack if a Strength check is failed, victim must succeed in a Strength check within 3 rounds or drown
I. Ogre: A brutal giant, save vs. paralysation on successful hit or be knocked out for 1d4 turns (treat as hold person)
AC: 7 HD: 3 Dmg: d8 ML: 9
II. Hag: A sorcerous crone,
1. Fly 150’ (50’) on a broom or pitchfork, or in a cauldron
2. Rides a giant angry billygoat familiar MV 150’ (50’) AC 7 HD 3 Dmg d8
3. Curse 3/day, save vs. spells or suffer effects; Weakling! – half strength, Idiot! – half intelligence, Fool! – half wisdom
4. Murder of Crows: 2d4 dmg to anyone in light armour or less, range 200’, 3/day
5. Iron claws: 1d8 dmg
6. Devoted Slaves: 1d6 Degenerate Heathens AC 7 HD 1-1 dmg d6 ML:7
AC: 8 MV: 60’(20’) HD: 2 Dmg: d6 ML: 8
III. Bogey: A terrifying hunter; Sleep (faint dead away) 1/day, Ventriloquism 1/day
AC: 7 MV: 120’(40’) HD: 1 Dmg: 1d4 ML: 6
IV. Grim: An ill-omened guardian of forbidden things, presence causes blight
AC: 4 MV: 120’(40’) HD: 1 Dmg: 1d6 ML: 4
V. Beastie: A terrible shaggy thing,
AC: 6 MV: 180’(60’) HD: 5 Dmg: 1d12 ML: 9
VI. Shade: A nightmare from beyond, drains 1 point from an ability score per successful attack; roll 1d6 to determine which ability score a shade will drain 1. Strength , 2. Intelligence , 3. Wisdom, 4 Dexterity , 5. Constitution, 5. Charisma
AC: 7 MV: 120’(40’) HD: 3 Dmg: 1d6 ML: 9
VII. Wose: A wild creature of the woods, Hide 33%, Sneak 25%, 10% chance of possessing a Talisman
Wose Talismans, roll d6
1. Toadstone – Invisibility 1/day
2. Shrunken Head – +2 to attack rolls
3. Mad-Cap Mushroom – +2 dmg for 6 rds
4. Ancient Torc – +1 HD
5. Ram’s Horn – Summons a beastie of the same element 1/day
6. Hideous Idol – seeing the idol requires a save vs. spells or blinded for 6 turns
AC: 7 MV: 120’(40’) HD: 1 Dmg: 1d4 (cudgel) ML: 8
VIII. Gargoyle: A stony idol animated by foul magic, Invulnerable to normal weapons
AC: 6 MV: 90’(30’) Fly 150’ (50’) HD: 2 Dmg: 1d8 ML: 12